Information in English
The Touring Club of Fljótsdalshérað or FFF was founded in 1969, as a division of the national Icelandic Touring Association. It‘s vision is to promote and organize traveling within the Eastern part of the country. It brings together enthusiasts in hiking and nature observing and allows them to experience the picturesque East Iceland with a group guided by locals.
In the Club’stouring program, a variety of tours is on offer: one day tours (Sunday trips or Daytrips), weekend tours (Friday evening till Sunday) and longer tours, lasting several days. The trips vary in difficulty: everybody will find an adequate tour, beginners just as advanced mountaineers. Schedule information on the touring program can be found here on our website and additionlly on The Icelandic Touring Association´s website.
Bookings should be made in accordance with the booking guideance listed on this website.
The Touring Club of Fljótsdalshérað owns and operates several mountain huts where hikers and other travelers can get a sleeping bag accommodation (pre-booking necessary). Further information is available on this website or at the Club’s office.
The club is also involved with publications related to its vision, such as maps of numerous hiking trails in in this area. These maps can be observed in our huts as well as being available for sale at numerus locations such as the Tourist Information Center in Egilsstaðir.
The club takes pride in and emphasizes three groups of hiking destinations:
- Area specialty trips, including the:
- “The Trails of the Deserted Inlets” ( Víknaslóðir ), a hiking trip declared in 2014 as one of the best hiking trips in Iceland by the official report on National Footpaths .
- “The Desilted Area of Lón” ( Lónsöræfi ). Hiking trips through the picturesque area north east of Europe’s largest glacier Vatnajökull
- Dyrfjöll and Stórurð, unique picturesque destinations in the area of Fljótsdalshérað and Borgarfjörður Eystri.
- “Hiking treasures of the Egilsstaðir region”, a group of 28 carefully selected hiking trails and treasured destinations in the municipalities of Fljótsdalshérað and Fljótsdalshreppur.
- “Highland Farms”, a selection of easy hiking trips visiting the now desilted farms of the moors areas in this part of the country.