When originally established in 1846 on land that had belonged to Hákonarstaðir, this farm was named Barð. It was situated at an altitude of 554 m by the west bank of Krókatjörn which later took on the name of Veturhúsatjörn. Due to erosion, the farm was moved after 1900 beyond the east shore to an altitude of 556 m. The name Barð is surely because of here must have been a summer outpost but when people started to live here the whole year around the name was changed to Veturhús.
The first settlers were Guðrún, daughter of Gísli, farmer at Arnórsstaðir, Jökuldalur and Benjamín Þorgrímsson, who had ancestors in the county of Suður-Þingeyjarsýsla. The had taken care of he father´s farming at Arnórsstaðir his last years and after that they had lived many places until they started to build at Barð.
Following the 1875 ashfall, some of the residents moved to the Americas and no one lived here again till nearly 1900, though the farm then had occupants till 1941.
Anna from Slý in Suðursveit bought Veturhús 1924 and Bjarni Þorgrímsson was a worker at Veturhús. Before Anna died 1934 she gave the farm to Bjarni. Bjarni moved from Veturhús 1941. The people at Sænautasel, saw two years later, a man walking from the road to Rangalón. This was Kjartan Ólafsson who was a teacher at the University of Iceland. He addressed Halldóra, the housewife in Sænautasel and told her that he had bought Veturhús. He wanted to go there and look the farm, because he wanted to stay there for some time juring summers. Halldóra asked her son Sigurjón to go with Kjartan, but Kjartan said that it was not necessary. Then Halldóra told him how to get there, he should follow the road all the way to Veturhús. When he arrived he camped in the front of the house and went to sleep. Suddenly he felt like everything was quaking, this happened three times. Kjartan then took his pistol and shot three shots into the door of the house. He then took his things and run back to where he came from.
50 years later Kjartan came to Sigurjón, who was then farmer at Eiríksstaðir in Jökuldalur. Sigurjón went with Kjartan to Veturhús and there Kjartan told him that he had sold the farm to the parish. People believed that Anna had not wanted to sell Veturhús.
List of inhabitants:
1. 1846-1853: Benjamín Þorgrímsson (1794-1855) from South.Þing. and Guðrún Gísladóttir (1806-1868) from Arnórsstaðir. Children: Ísak (b.1826), Ingveldur (b.1824), Gísli (b.1839) moved to the Americas, Kristín (1830-1832), Jón (1835-1921) farmer at Háreksstaðir and Jóhann (1836-1837). Benjamín had the daughter Sigurbjörg (b.1838) with Sólrún Andrésdóttir.
2. 1853-1861: Björn Gíslason (b.1826) and Ólöf Eyjólfsdóttir (b.1826). Children: Eyjólfur (b.1849) and Kristín (b.1856).
3. 1862-1864: Jón Benjamínsson (1835-1921) and Guðrún Jónsdóttir (1834-1876). Children: Gunnar (b.1871), Gísli (b.1869), Benjamín (b.1862), Jón (b.1864), Ísak (b.1866) and Þórarinn all except Gunnar moved to the Americas.
4. 1862-1871: Eiríkur Einarsson (b.1822) from Mjóanes and Katrín Hannesdóttir (b.1823) from Eyri, Reyðarfjörður. Children: Guðný Margrét (b.1859), Stefán (b.1863) and Þórarinn (b.1867).
5. 1870-1875: Páll Vigfússon (1833-1906) and his second wife Elísabet Guðmundsdóttir (1844-1928) from Brattagerði. Children: Oddur (b.1868), Þorbjörg (b.1869) and Lilja (b.1869). They all moved to the Americas.
6. 1899-1901: Höskuldur Guðmundsson (1859-1912) from Hornafjörður and Kristín Jónsdóttir (1862-1937) from Hrifla. Children: Guðlaug Rannveig (b.and d.1892), Kristján Jakob (b.1896), Halldóra (b.1901) and Jón, Vopnafjörður.
7. 1900-1904: Haraldur Sigurðsson (b.1868) from Þingeyjasýsla, and Aðalbjörg Hallgrímsdóttir (b.1867) from Fellssel, S.-Þing. Children: Sigurður (1893-1966) farmer at Stuðlafoss and Jóna Þórdís (b.1872)
8. 1904-1907: Pétur Kristjánsson (1876-1921) and Guðný Torfadóttir (b.1888). Children: Hákon (b.1914), Margrét (b.1917) and Kristján Pétur Jökull (b.1919)
9. 1907-1913: Sigurður Hannesson (1870-1947) from Efri-Ey, Vestur-Skaft. And his housekeeper Ingibjörg Bjarnadóttir (1881-1947) from Hornafjörður.
10. 1917-1921: Björn Jóhannsson (1891-1968) from Valdastaðir and Anna Magnúsdóttir (1892-1967) from Hjarðarhagi. Children: Ívar (1916-1990), Ragnheiður Jóhanna (b.and d.1917), Ragnar (b.1918), Hörður (b.1920), Jóhann (b.1921), Magnús 1923-1990), Sigurður (b.1924), Björn (b.1927) and Einar (1928-1959)
11. 1923-1924: Þorkell Björnsson (b.1892) and Þóra Þórðardóttir (b.1900) from Gauksstaðir. Children: Þórný, Soffía, Ingólfur teacher in Kópavogur, Þórður, Anna B., Margrét died young. Þorkell had also two daughters: Margrét (b.1914) housewife, Brekka, Mjóafjörður and Kristín (b.1918) housewife, Hafursá.
12. 1924-1941: Bjarni Þorg´rimsson (b.1877) from Strönd. Housekeeper and the owner Anna Einarsdóttir (1862-1937) frá Slý in Meðalland, West-Skaft.