Desjamýri used to be a secundary farm from Hauksstaðir. Eymundur Arngrímsson farmer and a sexton at Hauksstaðir built a new farm here around 1830. He died here 1849. His wife was Matthildur Sigurðardóttir from Grímsstaðir. They had six children, four of them moved to the Americas.
Eymundur´s father Arngrímur intended to spend the christmas 1839 at Desjamýri. He went by foot from Hauksstaðir but suddenly there came a very hard snow storm and he died there, he was 72 years old.
Few sources are about farming in Desjamýri, although people lived there over 30 years. Desjamýri was not very isolated as the main road between Vopnafjörður and Möðrudalur laid near Desjamýri. Today sheep herders always stop at Desjamýri when they are rounding up the sheep in Hauksstaðaheiði.
In census papers from October 1st 1860 seven people lived at Desjamýri, but in census from 1880 is no one there.
People quess that the name Desjamýri is from hay”des”. The farm stands at a hill with a lot of marshes around it and it was difficult to make hay there. The hay was cut and taken from the marsh and torf put over it. Juring the winter when the hay was taken the torf stood behind like a house. It was called “des”.
List of inhabitants
1830-1849: Eymundur Arngrímsson and Matthildur Sigurðardóttir with their 6 children.
1853-1860: Tómas Pétursson farmer and his wife Anna Árnadóttir. Children: Anna Sigríður (b.1853) and Guðrún María (b.1856). Sigurður Árnason farmworker from Þingeyrarklaustur parish. Guðrún Pálsdóttir, maid and Guðbjörg Pálsdóttir, maid.
1861: Jón Björnsson and Guðrún Jónsson. Árni Jónsson and María Grímsdóttir