Melur

MelurMelur was founded in 1848, with the first residents considering themselves to be building on public land (commons), but the pastor of Hof in Vopnafjörður disagreed. He filed a drawn-out lawsuit which the new farmers lost, and the land reverted to the church at Hof.  The settlers at Melur were Steinunn, daughter of Torfi Torfason, Arnkelsgerði; and Jón, a son of Guðmundur, whose family hailed from Mývatn.  Melur was occupied until 1904, excluding only a few uninhabited years. The farm is now the site of a sheep herders´shelter.

(16) GPS Cordinates: (N65°28.24 - W15°26.95)

...

Við erum á Facebook